Tuesday, June 14, 2011

uncle boonmee at trylon

I've been MIA this past week as I was out of town for the past five or six days, and I hope to get back into the swing of things soon.  In the meantime I thought I would share this press release I just received a few minutes ago from Take-Up:

June 28 and July 5 screenings:

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)
Thailand
Directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s new film is a gentle and dreamy meditation on death and the magical possibilities of reincarnation. Boonmee is a man at the end of his life who is visited by spirits and visions of his past from the dense jungles of Northern Thailand. Although technically not a Twin Cities premiere, this 2010 Palme d’Or winner deserves more than one screening. 

Tuesday, June 28, 7:00 and 9:15
Tuesday, July 5, 7:00 and 9:15
I saw this film at the Walker a few months back, and the picture was mesmerizing, to say the least.  This definitely isn't a film for everyone (I'm looking at you, grandpa!), and at times it comes across as a challenging watch.  But at its most basic level this film is visually rich, showcasing some beautiful jungle scenery (not to mention a vivid jungle soundtrack).  While there's plenty to think about in this film, don't let it distract you from appreciating Weerasethakul's unique storytelling and the movie's stirring visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment