Wednesday, September 8, 2010

breathless at lagoon starting this friday

The 1960 French film that changed almost everything about cinema, including how we view and discuss films, is coming to the Lagoon for a week long run starting this Friday.  Besides being its 50-year anniversary, Breathless is making the rounds nationally to show off a newly restored 35mm print, the first such touch up done to the movie.  I don't appreciate Godard as much as other cinephiles do, but in my mind this movie is far and away his best work.

This movie is infuriatingly French.  I can only say the word "French" with any meaning, however, because this movie exists.  Yet it's infuriating that it does exist.  These characters are hip, indifferent, and never the same from one scene to the next.  When I watch them on screen it angers me to think I envy, admire and desire them as much as I do.



Go see them tear up the streets of Paris this weekend at the Lagoon.  And after you fall in love with the film, please check out the 1959 Cassavetes' film Shadows.  Now that's a director I can fully support.

No comments:

Post a Comment