Thursday, October 14, 2010

milestone films at the trylon

Italian directors invade Minneapolis' premiere microcinema this weekend.  Two films by two of the greatest directors to come out of the boot will be screening Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as part of Take-Up Productions' series "Milestone's 20th: Two Decades of Enduring Artistry."  Film one:

Rocco and His Brothers




The Trylon

Fri Oct 15 7:00 Sun Oct 17 7:00 
(1960, Luchino Visconti, 35mm, 177min) This beautifully restored, uncut, and uncensored print of Visconti's masterpiece tells the powerful story of the Parondi family of five boys and their mother, Rosaria.
I've seen two films by Visconti (La Terra Trema and Senso) and I didn't really get either of them.  By that I mean, I didn't see what was so great the first time around, but I'd love to get another crack at them.  Some Italians you get, some you don't, and I'd love to see this one to give myself another shot at getting him.

Film two:

The Wide Blue Road


The Trylon

Sat Oct 16 7:00 9:00 
(1957 Gillo Pontecorvo, 35mm, 99min) The debut feature by Gillo Pontecorvo (The Battle of Algiers) about a rogue Italian fisherman forced to use illegal methods to provide for his family. Starring Yves Montand as a Neo-realist cowboy of the sea.
Man, how awesome was The Battle of Algiers, huh?  I've heard very little about Pontecorvo's other works, but I think that has more to do with their lack of availability than their lack of quality.  What's weird is that the more I read that description the more it sounds like the Visconti film La Terra Trema.  Cue the "Twilight Zone" music.  Peep them both at the Trylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment